The Deadlands of Cadia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deal with the Devil (or akin)

Go down

Deal with the Devil (or akin) Empty Deal with the Devil (or akin)

Post by Oni Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:13 pm

Just as the sounds of the excitement with the walls of the manor cease and the morning thinning of the mist, Karl climbed onto of Zaneth's back and the two rode out.  Full armed and armored, the two clanked as they made their way out of the manor holdings.  Slowly the cursed knight rode upon his equally damned mount, through the thick mist filled forest that made the majority of his Lord and Lady's territory and into the sandy badlands that laid just beyond their claim.  Swiftly through the territory of the cannibalistic Sandsnake tribes until he found himself in a quiet and seemingly peaceful stretch of sand overlooking a section of dried river.  Here Karl would dismount and look around a few steps.

Kneeling down into the sand, Karl drew and drove his sword blade first into the land and upon the hilt he hung his now removed helmet.  The hot sun reflected heavily off his metallic skull as he looked about.  With a nod to Zaneth and a look to the sky, he called out, “I am here thus show yourself, speaker to the dead and whisperer on the wind!”  A long stillness held in the air for the moments that followed before a shake came from Karl's head as he looked once more to his horse, “Perhaps we shall try another spot?”

The sensation of fingers of two hands running themselves from just shy of the eye sockets and along the ridges and curvature of the skull filled Karl with a great unease but before he could speak, another voice spoke, “Exquisite...-the voice almost moaning to itself, though it would shift into a deeper masculine tone following a tap against Karl's temples before speaking once more- ...such detail, no it can't be natural...divinely created, maybe?”  A strange pressure and energy seemed to come from the being's hands as Karl felt almost unable to move.  A counter energy is felt coming from the skull to the fingers of the hand, causing the being to emit a hissing curse.

Breaking free from the being's grip and turning to face it, Karl in silence stared.  The first thing he noticed were the two dirty as well as boney hands covered in pale wrinkly dry skin lowering to hang from the being's sides.  Next was how tall the figure was, standing easily eight or so feet, feeling unnaturally tall to the skeletal knight.  Finally was how the “man” was dressed, simple and plain.  Specifically in a tight fitting gray robe that lacked any notable signs of ornate design save a modest rope belt, its cowl up and deep in nature showing only a scraggly white beard and just the shyest hints of pale dirty skin.  The odor of grave-dirt and dryness seemed to radiant gently from the being yet no notable sounds of life, no breathing nor heartbeat.

Seemingly bemused by the silent stare, the being placed his hands together in a prayer gesture and asked,“Why have you sought me out, Cursed One?”  Watching the figure closely, Karl answered, “I seek a means to power, more so than I have now – and you seek one who has taken things from you, do you not?”  A nod is the only response Karl gets initially as the hands of the figure shift into a steepling gesture and after an uncomfortably long pause, “Power to do what, I am curious to know.”  “To spit in the eyes of those who failed me, the gods I once worshiped, and to see them suffer accordingly,” replied Karl sort of matter of fact like.  The being shifted forward quickly at the response and its ugly mouth could be seen filled with rotting and jagged looking teeth, “Excellent, I think we can work out a deal, indeed.”

The disgusting grin continues to hang on his face as he begins to explain, “Most call me “Father” and that is what I accept as my given title, so refer to me as such.  Bring to me, alive, the one called Vallyn – a known scion of the demonic prince Graz'zt, so do not underestimate him.  And bring his mate, the one called Xara, a scion as well, though her pedigree is even more interesting as she does not even known it – but it is the evolved obyrith, Pazuzu.  -his smile drops as he rubs his chin- She you could most likely trick, if you can isolate her from Vallyn who she is known to cling to for guidance.  But again, she is not to be underestimated.  And in exchange, I will break your binding with your master...-a dark twisted toothy grin crosses his ugly face- yes I know of your master and he is easily dealt with.  And I will grant you the power to begin your journey to face the gods.  Though perhaps I will warn you now, in case you wish to flee and forget all this.  Those you hunt are not necessarily here, we are in a strange place with stranger rules.  So what say you, hmm?”

Karl picks up his helm and draws his blade, replacing it into its scabbard before turning once more to Father, “Where do you want them brought?”  Father tilts his head and lets out a laugh, “Good, good...-but his tones shifts to serious quickly- bring them to the sands and use this -tosses Karl a stone- and it will bring you all to a more suitable location.”  Catching the object, Karl looks at it a moment before putting it into a belt pouch, “And as soon as they are dealt with, I will gain my prize?”  Father nods once before Karl continues, “Good, this will be simple enough to achieve.”  Father moves closer to Karl, “Let us hope it is -latches a hand onto his skull, moving faster than the knight can react and a burning is felt- and this mark will remind you of your task, you have seven days, Cursed One.” With that Father vanishes from site and Karl using a mirror from his pouch sees the mark on his skull, now fading rapidly from view, a Geas.”  With a shake of his head, he replaces his helmet and rides back to Sol's Hope to gather some supplies before heading back to Avalorn territory to inform Vallyn of the situation.

Oni
Admin

https://cadia.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum