The Deadlands of Cadia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lord of Light

2 posters

Go down

The Lord of Light Empty The Lord of Light

Post by Oni Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:57 pm

In the midst of nature's time of umbra a rumble is felt long before it is heard, the wastes of the Deadlands brighten to light so strong one could say a star was being birthed.  Patches of intense fire erupt across the sands borne of bolts of lightning running rampant from the skies overhead, glassing sections and searing stone in others.  The thundering roar formed from the coursing energy and hellish winds, is heard all across the continental island that is Cadia.  Yet as quickly as it came, it begins to fade – the wind calm, fires burn themselves out as the lightning ceases its fall, and the light begins to darken slowly.

In the minds of all beings with sapience upon Cadia is a shared experience of a vision, much like the “Dream.”  It begins thus:

Hearkened by the chorus of unseen ethereal voices singing in a creole tongue, an orb of light slowly descends from the sky above – its light far more intense than even which still lingers from moments before.  As it descends, cracks form across the face of the orb which glow with such intensity that it is unpleasant to look at directly.  These cracks web across and eventually erupt the orb, much like an egg and in a blinding flash appears what rested within.  A man like being in the fetus position that continues to slowly fall.

This being, man-like in form, is yet not like man at all – the model of perfection, perfect in beauty, and as if full of wisdom.  Appearing as if chiseled from the finest of white marble and then gilded by the hand of master and adorned with purest of gems that catch and amplify the light about him.  With purposeful attention to his movements, the being slowly uncurls and turns upright, as if standing.  The song of the unseen voices strengthens as six feathered wings of the purest white emerge from the back of the being yet the crescendo is reached as the burning wreath that forms above his head.

With the being's face in focus, his gaze that of a white hot stare – he watches in the distance.  His golden eyes break their stare after a few moments to move to what feels as if to match your own gaze and a smile crosses his beautiful face in response.  In this lone moment a feeling of darkness creeps over the entire scene but it fades once more as the winged being calls forth a burning spear to his hand.

Thrusting the spear upwards over his head, the ethereal voices end their song.  In unison the voices now cry out in a language recognizable, “Hail the Lord of Light!  For he will bring about an era of unmatched peace!  Rejoice!  Hail the Lord of Light!  For even the darkness dares not show itself in his presence!  HAIL THE LORD OF LIGHT!  HAIL THE LORD OF LIGHT!  HAIL THE LORD OF LIGHT!”

With this the being thrusts his spear once more and his wings extend.  Soon he flies off at a high speed, leaving only a trail of flames in his wake.  Slowly the darkness of night returns and in this darkness one can hear the distant roar of a great beast stirring.  Ending the shared experience and forcing a sleepless night for all.

Oni
Admin

https://cadia.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The Lord of Light Empty Re: The Lord of Light

Post by Dia Sun May 14, 2023 1:46 pm

~Avalorn Keep~
Stirring from the vision, Vallyn and Xara awaken to confused groans throughout their subterranean harem. Immediately it becomes clear from the gathering's confusion that all had shared the same experience. Vallyn growls in anger as the festivities they were partaking in have now been interrupted and spoiled. Before he can work himself into a deeper rage, Xara gently lays a hand on his chest to calm him.

"We need to send for Karl, have him look into this Lord of Light." Xara says with concern in her voice. "Do you think the babies had the same dream?"

Vallyn nods once in return, taking a deep breath before responding "Probably so, but they should be fine... your handmaiden will come fetch us if they're unwell. For now, gather the coven as well... whoever this creature is, it should not be able to break past our wards like this..."

Xara begins to pull on her loin cloth but pauses as she sees Markus and Vallana approaching from across the room, adjusting their own hastily thrown on clothing. "What was that? Do we think this is a threat?" Vallana asks as she looks between her parents. Markus lays his hand on her shoulder to put her at ease.

"Whether it's a celestial with the power to project into our minds... or another being pretending to be a celestial with that same power... it's no friend of ours." Vallyn responds, his voice stern. "Markus, get your armor on and go find Karl. He's probably already on his way over here. Valla, go with your mother. The coven will strengthen our wards and see if they have any information on this creature. I'll reach out to our allies in the meantime." Vallyn held back rolling his eyes at referring to "Father," their former lich advesary as an ally. He would send word to Corrien and Azar, as well as Willow and Amendil as well. Someone would know something of this being.

At that, all set off to complete their tasks; shoring up defences and learning what they could of this new threat.

~The Palace of Malcanthet~
Charlissa and Natasha's eyes fluttered open at the screams throughout the temple. The infant tiefling children of the other priestesses had been woken from their rest by the vision and were now screaming and inconsolable. Even several rooms away, the screams could be heard, causing Natasha to groan and Charli to frown.

"Oh I wonder if they had bad dreams... I just had the strangest one..." Charli started, but paused as she saw the confusion on Natasha's face. "What is it?"

"The Lord of Light? Did you dream it too?" Natasha responded.

"Oh dear." Whispered Charli, sitting up in their bed. "That was something real, then?"

Natasha sat up as well. "He looked like an angel. Something tells me he isn't our friend." Her demonic tail coiled around her waist.

"Perhaps not..." Charli paused, her cheeks flushing slightly.

"... you liked him, didn't you?" Natasha raised an eyebrow at her partner.

"He was VERY handsome." Charli turned brighter red.

Natasha stared at Charli for a moment longer before dropping back on the bed, laughing hysterically. Charli joined in her laughter, and quickly the two felt their concerns fade away, even despite the screaming infants on the other side of the temple.

~The Shining Oasis~
Laying on the shore of the Oasis in each other's arms, Amendil and Willow's eyes roll back as they experience the vision together. As the vision ends they blink and look at each other quickly. Immediately they recognize that the other shared the experience, and frown. "Haven't had a vision like that since I arrived..." Amendil whispered to his wife.

"Not since the Eldest for me..." Willow pouted. If this was anything like the last time, visions always spelled trouble for them.

Feeling her worries growing, Amendil squeezes Willow once in his arms before moving to stand up. "We'll need to pick another night to relax under the stars." Willow stood with him and nodded. "Yes, I think that would be best."

"I'll check the Academy's library. Maybe we can learn something of this Lord of Light." Amendil smiled reassuringly down at his wife. Willow leaned up and kissed him softly, smiling back. "I'll go talk to Vyulla, maybe she can help as well."

With that they kissed once more, and departed on their separate ways.

~Deep in the Deadlands~
The werecat stalked his prey through the sandy dunes. As he neared the huge mammoth, he prepared to pounce, but found himself falling unconsious in midair. When he awoke his prey was long gone. He growled, and shifted back to his human form.

Roman stood up in the sand and snorted as he looked all around.

"The lord of what the fuck, singing bullshit..." He grumbled as he began tracking the footprints of his prey once more.

~The Dry River Keep~
Azar and Corrien awoke to an undead lizardman waving smelling salts under their noses. They had fallen unconcious to the vision in the middle of their lab, and the guard dutifully rested their bodies side by side, heads on pillows, and retrieved the salts to revive them.

"Oy, ye two alright?" Their undead dwarven blacksmith called over. "Took a hit on the ol' noggin from my hammer... had some weird vision..."

Azar looked over at Corrien to ensure she was alright as his mind raced. He placed a hand on her arm and sat up. "I had it as well... Looks like we all did. Save for the ones lacking sentience." He glanced at the skeletal lizardman who was now putting away the salts and returing to his post.

Corrien laid her hand on top of Azar's as she sat up as well. "Where is that pit fiend... I want to know what that was, right now." There was fury in her eyes, feeling attacked in her own home for the first time.

Azar nodded and squeezed her arm. He looked at the dwarven smith. "Summon him immediately."

Azar's eyes then drifted back to his lab table, to the half completed construct of demon flesh. "I think it may be time to finish my pet project."

Corrien followed Azar's gaze and grinned in approval.

~The Palm Tavern~
Chaos erupted in the tavern as drinks spilled, children screamed, commoners leapt from their seats, and guards frantically decided where they should go and if this vision was a danger to them or the village.

Sitting in the corner, Avara looked shocked at the scene she awoke to. She quickly grabbed Razael's hand and looked at him. "Did you see it as well? That angel?"

Razael held Avara's hand, while his other hand rested on the hilt of his sword. He looked over the scene and frowned. "Yes. I've never heard of this Lord of Light... and a display like that doesn't seem normal for a celestial. Just look at this madness its ensued..."

"I haven't either... I need to get to the academy and see what they know. I wonder if others outside the inn saw the vision too?"

Razael nodded and watched as the door to the tavern flung open, and people in the streets panicked just as those inside were. "I'd say so. Can you send a message spell to Jukai? Check if he is alright. Let him know we're looking into this, and if he's able to meet us to do so."

"I will." Ava stood up from her seat quickly.

Razael stood up and touched her arm lightly. "Go ahead without me, I'll catch up. The guards look as startled as the people... I'll do my best to help calm things first."

Ava smiled and leaned up to kiss his cheek before heading out.

~Along the River Stygia~
"My Prince.... MY PRINCE!" The small dragon called out. She guarded her nest with her wings to protect her abundance of eggs.

"I'm here my Princesssss!" The small male dragon swooped into the nest and coiled around his mate. "Had a dream, a dream of a great winged figure!"

"I did too, my Prince! Do you think we are safe?"

"Well... The Master and Mistress had the vision as well I thinks..."

"And? Are they worried?"

"Well... their tent was rocking... then the vision... then a sigh... then their tent was rocking again... they did not seem to care..."

"Oh... REJOICE! WE ARE SAFE, MY PRINCE!"

"WE ARE SAFE, MY PRINCESSSSSS!"

Dia
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Oni Wed May 17, 2023 2:26 am

~Avalorn Keep~

A briefly visible shimmer encapsulates Avalorn and its nearby Keep as Valla and Xara join the coven and add their power to the warding.  The Witches speak no words to one another yet they all seem to know what the other is thinking and work in, what would appear to be very scary, unison in order to achieve this additional level of protection.  Vallyn is able to sense when this occurs despite being within the throne room of the Keep.

Markus meets Karl on his approach to the Keep itself and the two ride together back.  As they enter and are announced the pair kneel, Karl infront and to the left of Markus.  Upon receiving their orders to investigate, shore up defenses, check on their allies, and prepare for a potential upcoming battle they leave their Lord's presence and split up.

Markus heads to the Palace of Malcanthet to seek out his sister and her partner, Natasha, before traveling to Azar and Corrien's desert holdings.  His orders, while Valla is occupied with the warding, is to ensure his sister is safe and able to mend the addled and any wounded, if there are to be any, and gather any intel he can on this Lord of Light and/or any swayed by this vision.

Meanwhile, Karl is ordered to directly seek out this Lord of Light as a envoy of Avalorn and to assess what he can of this being's intentions and potential risks to Avalorn are.  He is also to find any who might be swayed, and any who might be lored on such a being.  So his first stop is Sol's Hope, being the largest non-demonic settlement in the region – though he is to go by land instead of ship, to ensure the roads to Avalorn are not at risk.  

~The Shining Oasis~

Amendil finds the Academy a clusterfuck, to say the least, and few are pausing or willing to help someone find anything when there is a mad almost manic feeling in the air about trying to find who or what caused this mass vision.  He finds it very frustrating and annoying.  Soon though he hears the discussions about seeking out and trying to directly communicate with this Lord of Light.

Meanwhile, Willow seeks out Vyulla who is tending to the little one and calming.  Vyulla is visibly furious, a rare sight to Willow and she can now sense the grove has a different air as Vyulla's emotions switch about.  Though she asks nonetheless if she knows much and what she thinks.

The ancient being nods and answers with what little she knows,
“I do not believe it is an angel that is to be sure.  Viewing such a being plants seeds of mistrust in my mind.  I believe it is a charlatan, but of who or what it is actually I am not sure.  Much like my ilk, the Fey, this being I sense is likely capable of changing as much as it desires about itself to lure others in.  Now, I cannot say if I believe its message or not, or its desire for this so called peace.  But caution should be taken with upmost care.  At the very least its power is great and something of note.  Please be cautious...”

~The Dry River Keep~

Soon the familiar presence of Azar's ally, and perhaps even friend, enters his lab.  Having already been briefed to the occurrence, as he was not in this plane at the time of the vision,  he offers what information he can.

He begins clearing his throat,
“After seeing the vision via a memory link with our friend *motions to the Dwarf* I believe I can shed some.....light *grins* on this.  *coughs* There are few who would dare openly use such a title, as it bears certain history to several powerful beings.  The three most powerful are likely as follows:  An archon whose fiery might is well known, a planeswalker, and a former Lord of Hell.  Any of which could potentially pull off such a visual trick and are all, to various degrees, as dangerous.  Personally I have little belief that it is a true angel so my bet would be one of the latter two.”

Before any questions could be asked he continues,
“The Tome Archon Raziel is known as the Firestar and at times, Lord of Light, a powerful being though I think its a bit too on the nose for him to be involved.

The Planeswalker was once a man named Jin Tendo, from one of those eastern nations on Toril.  A former mercenary and assassin, this changed man became a champion of the light and serves the Celestial Emperor as a Lord of Light.  To the point the man is no longer Human and possesses powers not fully cataloged.

Finally about the former Lord of Hell, legend says there was once a being who predated Asmodeus as ruler of Hell.  Some say he was an angel who fell or one who served a god now forgotten and was cast out, either way, his beauty and influence was unmatched and when he lost favor he took many angels with him.  These are said to had became the first devils.  The Lord of Light, a moniker likely from his angelic days that stuck with him due to his supposed beauty as it is said that even despite it all, he still appears – if he choses to I would think, to look like his pre-Hell days.

So any questions?”

The Pit Fiend folds his massive arms before his chest and waits for both questions and orders.

~The Palm Tavern~

Bells are rung throughout Sol's Hope as the legionaries, those capable at the very least, flood into the town from their camp or posts and attempt to restore peace – seemingly by ushering the majority into their homes or to the temples.  Travel through town is nearly impossible with the chaos though reaching the Academy is as equally a mess.  The scholars and mages, and whoever else, that are able are already searching the shelves and scrolls for answers.  Soon discussion about having those volunteers go out and seek out this Lord of Light directly and have him answer is spread throughout the Academy.

At first the guards try to redirect Razael but soon they accept his aid then quickly calm and route the tavern goers to  their homes or the temples.  It takes a few hours though as time goes by it gets easier as people's minds have begun to calm down to more reasonable levels.  It isn't long after though that he would have a sense to go seek out Ava and soon his gut feeling is confirmed by a message spell.

Meanwhile, on her way to the Academy she sends off a message spell to Jukai who responds with confusion at the vision/dream yet he and his family are safe as well as he plans to head to Sol's Hope on the next ship out.  Upon reaching the Academy, Ava finds a madhouse.  Soon she finds herself struggling to find out relevant information – especially with the noise and lack of free access to the collection of resources due to most being handled by another at the time.  Soon she hears the discussion going on and thinks of Razael and Jukai, sending a message to Razael to hurry to her.

~Along the River Stygia~

As a shadow darkens the sky over the campsite, a scent or sighting of what is coming frightens the pseudodragons to the point that they forcibly enter the “rocking tent” with cries of worry.  A heavy thud, with notes of almost metallic sounding taps striking stone (such as flint against steel), is heard right outside – though it is the scent of brimstone and ash that stirs the most response.  Soon a deep, gravelly voice calls into the now still tent, “I bear news from your ally, Flameborne One....”  Peeking through the slit of the tent's hanging fabric door, the gathering inside can see old dusty crimson hued scales worn as if armor upon the creature's back.  The haze of heat in the air is plainly visible as embers drip from the scarred maw of the messenger, a drake.  An impatient growl escapes the beast.

[If something needs changed, let me know]

Oni
Admin

https://cadia.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum