The Deadlands of Cadia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Wanderer's Guide to Cadia

Go down

A Wanderer's Guide to Cadia Empty A Wanderer's Guide to Cadia

Post by Dia Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:29 pm

13 Mirtul, 152 AW

Arrival

"Is this sand or dirt that we're walking on?"
"Yes."

At long last I've decided to visit the prison colony of the Barony of Vaikne. This is the first stop when arriving on the island of Cadia, as it's the only port here recognized by the Baroness. I do hear tell that there may be other ports, and I can't help but wonder why the Baroness wouldn't recognize them. Still, it's as good of a place as any to start my journey across the island.

Many of the locals would prefer that I not call this place a prison colony, as the title is debatable these days. Here's a bit of background: In the 20th year of the Awakening, the Baroness chose to deal with criminals by putting them to work here in the great salt mines of the Deadlands Coast, right here where Sol's Hope now sits. In those days she sent contingents of her own soldiers to run the prison camp, and keep the salt flowing back across the sea to her holdings. This proved a profitable use for prisoners, and eventually it was written to law that those newly awakened in the Barony who could not prove citizenship to any recognized sovereign nation would too be sent here to work until such a time that their sanity and good intentions could be proven. Of course, it was up to the Baroness' soldiers to determine if and when someone was sane enough to be released from servitude. Naturally this led one entrepreneurial prisoner, a Drow by the name of Valindra, to prove her sanity by offering to open the island's first business. Others began to follow suit, offering to build houses, and walls, operate farms, and raise livestock. Priests began to offer their services to heal, perform ceremonies, or burials. Warriors offered to take on mercenary work and deal with the threats that the Deadlands threw at the Baroness' men. Thus was born Sol's Hope, and it all began with a Drow opening a bordello, as many things do.

Over one hundred years have passed since those days, and the Baroness no longer occupies the colony with her own men. Today the region is guarded in service of the Baroness by the Bronze Legion Mercenary Company, under the command of Lord Captain Marius, one of the Baroness' personal retainers. Few of the residents of Sol's Hope are prisoners any longer, though most are former prisoners, or descended from prisoners. Still, the Baroness does send her criminals here to serve in the mines alongside paid miners until their sentence is up. The village has grown and thrived over these years, and one with an entrepreneurial spirit can still make their fortunes here.

I walk down the bustling dock where many ships are loading or unloading their cargo for trade, and adventurers disembark to set out on their own journeys into the Deadlands. I take the only road and follow it west towards the village proper, but first I must pass through the huge Bronze Legion camp. Surely there must be a more convenient place for them to set up shop - but perhaps intimidation for any arriving in Cadia is the real goal here. There is for certain no one entering Sol's Hope that is unaware that this place is heavily guarded, and they'd best not cause trouble.

At last I am beyond the rows of tents and wagons filled with military supplies, and I arrive in the Merchant Quarter of Sol's Hope; the Southeastern corner of the town proper. First entering the district I pass by a shrine to Waukeen - patron deity of those looking to make their fortunes through trade - be it legal or otherwise. Here one could trade for all manner of goods, find a bed for the night at the Jewel Tavern, pick up a lead on work at the bounty board, or find themselves company for the night at the Silk Rose bordello - still operated by the Drow Valindra, I might add. I poke my head into each of these establishments, and have an ale with Valindra who enlightens me on the village's history that I earlier mentioned. Then I retire for the night at the Jewel. I'll have much more to learn of Sol's Hope in the morning.

Dia
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum